Like many musicians I am involved in all kinds of jazz education. In addition to my regular teaching at Trinity Laban Conservertoire of Music and Dance and The Royal Academy Of Music, I also run jazz workshops and masterclasses as well as giving private lessons. I teach on the NYJC (national youth jazz collective) summer course as well as annual jazz courses in France and Italy.
I often combine a performance of my own group with a workshop, either as a one-off or part of a tour. All workshops are individually structured. Similarly, with masterclasses, I can structure and adapt to the college or school. Feel free to get in touch if you would like to find out more.
Previous workshops and masterclasses:
- Nottingham University Big Band – two-day workshop with Nottingham University Big Band at the Lakeside Theatre June 2014
- Birmingham Jazz Lines – commission and workshops for 250 primary school children. Premier June 4th 2014 at Symphony Hall Birmingham
- Folkwang University of Arts in Essen 2013 – four-day workshop and masterclass for jazz undergrad students playing my 'Ellington In Anticipation' music and big band music from 'Days Like These’
- The National Film and Television School (NFTS), Beaconsfield - Improvisation workshops for film composers 2014, 2012, 2011
- Nyjos - artist in residence with the Scottish youth Jazz Orchestra - 2008. Performing Mark's big band music from 'Days Like These'
- National Youth Jazz Collective ( NYJC) summer course tutor 2009-2014
A consultation lesson is ideal for any student who wants a general analysis of where they are with their playing and what they need to do to get to the next level. Often a student hoping to audition at one of the colleges will come to me for a consultation lesson. Please contact me if you're interested in having a lesson or want me to come and do a workshop or masterclass.