Like many musicians I am involved in all kinds of jazz education. In addition to my regular teaching at Trinity Laban Conservertoire of Music and Dance, The Guildhall School Of Music And Drama and The Royal Academy Of Music, I also run jazz saxophone and compositions workshops and masterclasses in the UK and Europe. I occasionally teach on the NYJC (national youth jazz collective) summer course as well as annual jazz courses in France and Italy.
I often combine a performance of my own group with a workshop, either as a one-off or part of a tour. All workshops are individually structured. Similarly, with masterclasses, I can structure and adapt to the college or school. Feel free to get in touch if you would like to find out more.
Previous workshops and masterclasses:
- Birmingham University New Music Ensemble- a special concert of an expanded version of my Ellington In Anticipation music- March 2018
- Nottingham University Big Band – two-day workshop with Nottingham University Big Band at the Lakeside Theatre June 2014
- Birmingham Jazz Lines – commission and workshops for 250 primary school children. Premier June 4th 2014 at Symphony Hall Birmingham
- Folkwang University of Arts in Essen 2013 – four-day workshop and masterclass for jazz undergrad students playing my 'Ellington In Anticipation' music and big band music from 'Days Like These’
- The National Film and Television School (NFTS), Beaconsfield - Improvisation workshops for film composers 2014, 2012, 2011
- Nyjos - artist in residence with the Scottish youth Jazz Orchestra - 2008. Performing Mark's big band music from 'Days Like These'
- National Youth Jazz Collective ( NYJC) summer course tutor 2009-2014
A consultation lesson is ideal for any student who wants a general analysis of where they are with their playing and what they need to do to get to the next level. Often a student hoping to audition at one of the colleges will come to me for a consultation lesson. Please contact me if you're interested in having a lesson or interested in workshops or masterclasses.